One, if not the most popular bake of Bunratty's Bean an Tí's is their famous Fruit Scones. Soft and fluffy on the inside, crumbly on the outside these tasty scones are delicious served warm with real butter, jam and cream on the side! This month we are happy to share with you this mouth-watering recipe so aprons at the ready ...
Click here to view recipe
Traditional Games: Hopstoch
Those of you who are regular visitors to Bunratty Folk Park would be familiar with the hopscotch board frequently drawn on the street outside the school house or Corrys Pub on the village street. Visitors to the park, young and old alike, simply adore this game that can be played almost anywhere .. all you need is a stick of chalk!
1: Simply draw board - click here for format.
2. Take turns to throw a stone onto a numbered square. Start with number one. If the stone doesn’t land in the square you lose your turn. If you get the stone into the right square, hop to number 10 (hopping over the square with the stone in it) then turn round and hop back to near where the stone is.
3. Lean down (still on one foot) and pick up the stone. Then hop back to the start. You then throw the marker onto the next highest number and continue.
4. If you step on a line, hop on the wrong square, or step out of the square, you lose your turn.
5. Your goal is to complete the course having thrown the marker onto each number in turn. The first person to do this wins the game!
February Gardening Tips
Feburary marks the start of Spring and across Bunratty Folk Park flowers and shrubs are starting to bloom adding wonderful colour to the landscape. To help you get the best from your garden in February here are some top tips from the gardeners in Bunratty Folk Park ...
1. February is the perfect pruning time for Clematis, Wisteria, Winter Jasmine, Hydrangea, Buddleia, Cornus, Mahonia, Evergreen shrubs, Climbing and Bush roses.
2. Prepare vegetable seed beds and sow some vegetables under cover.
3. Plant summer flowering bulbs.
4. Prune winter-flowering shrubs that have finished flowering.
5. Net fruit and vegetable crops to keep the birds away!
January Colouring Competition Winner
We are delighted to announce the winners of our January Kids Colouring Competition are Molly Flynn and Felicity Kuhs. Both Molly and Felicity win a family pass to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park redeemable once we reopen later this Spring. We look forward to welcoming you.